Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
What you need:
6 Lasagna noodles
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup of ricotta cheese
1 jar spaghetti sauce (a flavor of your choosing)
1 can diced tomatoes (garlic, onion, and oregano flavor)
1/2 green pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp sugar
9’x13′ baking pan
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- On top of stove, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add lasagna noodles and cook until tender.
- While the noodles are cooking, add meat, onion, green pepper to a large sauce pan. Cook until the meat is brown.
- Drain and rinse noodles, set aside to cool.
- Drain meat, and place it back into the large pan.
- Over medium heat, stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar to taste.
- Cook on high heat until the meat sauce reaches a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Prep the Casserole:
- Add ricotta to a bowl and stir in the egg. Set aside.
- Lay 3 drained noodles in the bottom of the baking pan.
- Take half of the ricotta mixture, and spread an even layer on top of the noodles.
- Take half of the meat sauce and spread an even layer on top of the ricotta.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese on top of the meat sauce.
- Add remaining 3 drained noodles on top of the first layer.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 (do not add top layer of cheese)
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven add the remaining cheese to the top.
- Replace the pan in the oven uncovered and bake for 5 minutes.
Allow the casserole to sit and set for 10 minutes before serving. This dish pairs well with garlic bread and a fresh side salad.