I love Halloween because it’s such a fun day! But I would be remiss if I didn’t share with you some of the funny thoughts that cross my mind during the course of the evening.
- Will my kids even wear their costumes? Many years, getting the kids to put on their costumes is such a struggle! I can remember me pleading with my toddler son to wear his giant sized baby pumpkin costume (which I’m sure felt awfully uncomfortable), and him refusing even go near it. He was afraid! And last year my 4-year-old daughter refused to wear her Doc McStuffins costume because she didn’t like how it “felt.” Every year I find myself thinking, “welp, another costume bites the dust!” I’ll keep the receipts just in case…
- If by some miracle the kids decide to wear their costumes, how will I fit these tiny ensembles over their coats? Living in a cold climate, it always seems to be like minus 2 degrees on Halloween, and the poor little Frozen dress and tiarra are covered by a North Face coat and ski mask. Costumes aren’t the same when they are buried under winter coats!
- Will I run out of candy? It’s so hard to know exactly how many trick-or-treaters will ring my doorbell and I don’t want to run out too fast! However, the major downside of me buying too much candy is that I am personally “responsible” to finish off the chocolate bar bags in the upcoming weeks. And I take my duties very seriously! Besides, it would be inconsiderate for me to waste it all!
- What happens if I run out of treats? Will there really be some sort of trick? Because the way my patience is set up….
- Corn candy. Who eats this and why is it still circulating? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actually indulge in this Halloween treat. It must do a number on the dentist bill!
- Will other parents shake their heads when they realize I was too lazy to carve my tiny porch pumpkin? Carving pumpkins really isn’t my ministry and I’m okay with that! I’m just going to set out my teeny Charlie Brown pumpkin and be on my way!
- How many Snicker bars and Reese’s Cups can I
stealborrow from the kids’ Halloween bucket without them knowing? They don’t need all of that junk anyway! So consuming it myself is really me exercising my parental duty.
- It’s 10 pm, all the lights are off, why does that last, lonely straggler come along? Shouldn’t the kid be in bed by now anyway? A part of me feels really bad for them, but the candy shop closed hours ago!
- Is it really okay for adults to trick-or-treat, alone? Without costumes?
- When this day passes, does that mean that I’ll see Christmas items in the store tomorrow? Are we just going to skip over fall and head straight into winter? Because I’M NOT READY!
Follow SP on Instagram!